Thursday, March 1, 2012

12 week update


Little Baby Durand 10 weeks 5 days 

 I had been having a lot of fear creeping in me with thoughts haunting me such as, "I'm almost 11 weeks and I've been reading of all these women who had missed miscarriages because their baby died at 6 weeks and they didn't even know." I was terrified that I would lose my baby. I hadn't had much cramping (which they say is the uterus stretching unless it's a miscarriage) but one morning I was awakened by cramping. I cried and insisted that it was over. I was going to lose my baby. I was deceived into thinking that I had control over this baby's life. After some loving, hard words from my darling husband I was able to pull myself together and realize how I was letting the enemy get into my thoughts. God is the giver of life and breath and everything. (Acts 17:25) 

At my appointment at 10 weeks and 5 days, I met with Dr. Kim who is the genetic/nutrition counselor and she goes over family history with you among other things. She tried to locate the baby's heartbeat with the doppler but couldn't so she wheeled the ultrasound machine in and there was my baby. Quiet, not moving. But the heartbeat was strong, 165 bpm, just pumping away. I asked why (I will use he because it's universal), he wasn't moving and she said that he could be sleeping. All of a sudden he jolted! As if he was jumping in the air with arms flailing up yelling, "surprise!" Then he was still again. I laughed at that and saw my whole belly jiggle and from then on my sweet little baby wouldn't stop moving! He kept bringing his arms to his face and he even did a complete 360 degree turn. I loved watching him. She was so gracious and let me take home 6 pictures! It was then that it finally clicked. I am going to be a mommy

Tomorrow I will be 12 weeks! My pregnancy app says I've completed the first trimester but other things say I have 2 weeks to go still, so I'm not quite sure. But here is the 12 week update on our little blessing: Your baby is now individually moving hands and feet. Your baby is also responding to sensations in and around you and may even flinch. The eyes have moved to the front of your baby's head and the ears are in place. Your baby has grown to the happy size of a purple plum. The thyroid gland, pancreas and gallbladder begin to work this week. Your baby can smile, frown, squint, fold the lips and even wrinkle his forehead. Your baby is also starting to grow hair this week. The placenta is beginning to take over and your baby is receiving nutrients and oxygen from you. 

What an amazing God we have, am I right? I've just been so in awe of him throughout each week of this pregnancy, just seeing how He is knitting together this baby in my womb. How intricate, detailed and perfect the development is. I am thankful for His mercy, this wonderful gift and I can't wait to raise this little disciple. 

A little side note: In the ultrasound picture, that string looking thing by the face is the baby's hand!

Oh, and I think it's a boy. ;)



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Thank you for sharing and being open. Yes, the Lord is amazing in all He does...especially when it comes to creating babies. Be blessed. :o)

    ReplyDelete